Online MBA courses are a popular choice among working professionals these days, especially because it doesn’t require them to be at a specific place at a specific time, five days a week. MBA distance learning is offered by different universities across the country. They offer a unique learning experience that helps you climb up your career ladder sooner. Most people today are considering an online MBA in HR, finance, or marketing to get better jobs.
However, no matter what specialisation you choose, like everything else, online MBA has its own set of advantages and disadvantages-
Taking up an online MBA is the best choice if you don’t want to leave your present job and yet pursue your degree.
- Flexibility and Accessibility: The number one benefit that you will get with an online MBA is that you will have a flexible schedule. You don’t need to attend long lectures and you can study from any place on earth. You would no longer need to balance between school and work, and you can create a customised schedule as per your convenience. All the study materials are sent to you online; meaning you’ll have access to them 24/7. You can study from the comforts of your home. This also makes online MBA programmes convenient for people who have family obligations.
- Cost: A traditional MBA programme is much more expensive as compared to an online programme (the cost is higher with residential B-schools). You save more as you don’t need to commute and moreover, you don’t leave your job.
- Academic Uniformity: Regardless of what you opt for, you learn the same thing. The curriculum followed is the same, and so you acquire the same level of education whether you opt for traditional or online MBA programmes. However, make sure that you choose an accredited school offering distance learning systems.
Every coin has two sides and the disadvantages of online MBA programmes are the following-
- There are students who learn better while attending classrooms and lectures, and if you fall in that category, you might find online MBA programs difficult, as they lack the structure and direction that you need.
- There will be no campus interviews when you go for online courses. You will have to look for better paying jobs yourself.
But the benefits outweigh the disadvantages because once you complete your MBA, your horizon of opportunities expand exponentially. Whether you’re considering an MBA in HR distance learning or anything else, an online MBA is always a better choice for working professionals or for people with time, family or cost constraints.